Technical Support from DSCL
Our knowledgeable team at DSCL are always happy to answer any technical questions you may have. Whether it's cropping an image or downloading our software, you can speak to us in office hours (9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday) via our phone lines detailed below, or alternatively by email (see below). You can also watch our YouTube videos by selecting the icon below which may give you some tips and helpful hints.
Here at DS COLOUR Labs Ltd we use Fuji Frontier 570 printers. All images should be supplied as sRGB or with our own profiles as JPEG files at 300 dpi and sized to the correct output size required. If your files are not sized we will scale your Image to fill the paper selected only on option 1 & 2. We have our own profiles which can be downloaded above. Prints are available in glossy, lustre or Pearl (Fuji Metallic). Please note all files should be set as sRGB not as CMYK.
Calibration / Colour Profiles
This page provides you with our calibration image and also our paper profiles to help you get the best quality from your work. There is also other advice for general printing needs.
Why is it so important to use colour management?:
Fuji Standard c-type Print Profiles:
Downloading Colour Profiles:
- Click on the icons above to download the Colour Profiles. Make sure you select Save rather than Run.
- Save the profiles to your desktop.
- Once the profile is downloaded to your desktop right click on the profile and select install profile.
- Now this profile is on your computer and will be in your list of profiles in programs such as Photoshop etc. It will appear in the profile list as 'DS Colour frontier crystal archive' (for Glossy) and 'DS Colour frontier' DP2 (for Lustre). If you would prefer to drop the profiles direct into the profile folder on your computer see below.
Installation of profiles direct on to your MAC computer:
- Users of OS prior to OS10.7 - Libary/Coloursync/Profiles
- Users of OS10.7 onwards - Go to folder and open -/ Libary/Directly. On the keyboard press Command+Shift+G from Mac desktop (or Finder>Go>Go to Folder)and type in ~/Library (a tilda not a hyphen) to temporarily access the Libary directory in the finder.
Installation of profiles direct on to your PC computer:
- My Computer (normally C or D drive)/Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/Colour.
DSCL handles all the paper profiles for our large format printing. If you would like further information or any of our large format profiles please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper Type Data Sheets:
Step by Step guide to Editing your image:
- First and most importantly please ensure your monitor is correctly calibrated. Click here to see a video on how to achieve this.
- Then open a file in Photoshop, or whichever editing programme you use, and edit your image in sRGB colour working space.
- Then make sure your image is sized correctly using the Crop tool and setting the width and height to the size of print you require at 300 dpi. This will ensure your image is the right size and no cropping will occur.
- Once you have edited your file you may wish to softproof your image. To do this click on View/Proof Options/Custom and then select either our Lustre or Glossy profile to see a very close representation of how the image will print. Click here to see video on soft proofing.
- If you are happy with this click Edit/Convert To Profile then select the appropriate colour profile and click Ok.
- Save this image and it will be of optimum quality to print. (save as perceptual not relative for best results).
We advise you do a small test order first using our colour calibration image. To obtain our calibration image right click and save on the link below:
Open this image in Photoshop and follow steps one to six above, then email us this file directly here. We can then check this image in comparison to our settings and let you know if this image is correct or requires further adjustment.
For further information on ICC Profiles and colour management etc the following site is very informative. Please note that not all editing software supports the use of ICC Profiles. Currently, you are definitely able to create and use ICC Profiles from all CS versions of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Aperture, Corel Painter, QuarkXPress and Qimage amongst others.
Screens are often overly bright and be aware that your monitor colours may differ from your prints unless calibrated. Monitor calibration devices are an inexpensive way of calibrating and controlling your workflow, no matter what quality of monitor you have it is always best to make the most of what you have. Soft proofing helps to guide you prior to printing and always consider the difference between projected light (monitors) and reflected light (paper).
To purchase a monitor device please see the link below:
If you are adding text to your files please leave at least a 4 to 5mm border from the edge of the file as machines do vary and cropping may occur. Please note when ordering A3 and 14x11 sizes that these sizes are only available on Option 1 & 2 - these sizes will need trimming down.
Ordering odd sizes online please use the advice below as examples:
If you require a 9x9 size you would make your canvas size 10x10 as this is our nearest print size then make your image size to be 9x9 then this will put the 9x9 in the middle of the 10x10 print.
For any further assistance please give us a call Tel +44 (0) 161 474 8680 and we will endeavor to help your through the process.
Image sizes and Pixel Dimensions
All files should be sized as the table and at 300dpi. There are various ways of resizing your images the link. Click on the button below for a free download for doing just this:
For any other size of print pixel dimension click on the button below:
|Print Size In Inches||Pixel Dimensions|